There are two terms that are interchangeability used often, though they are different:
- Grounded Cognition – Grounded in many forms
- Embodied Cognition – Grounded in context, physical cognition, perception of sences
It is popular to think of the mind as a wax tablet, a computer. It is a move from symbols to something else that is in the context of sensory input.
What does embodied cognition say about cognition?
- Cognition is situated
- Cognition is offloaded (tools for thoughts)
- Cognition is for Action
Experiential learning therefore is an instructional design method based on the education psychology of EC.
Some readings on embodied cognition
- Wilson, M (2202). SixViews of Embodied Cognition
- Barsalou, L (2008) Grounded Cognition
- Glenberg, A (1997) What Memory is For